Monday, April 13, 2009

Attributes of God Part Two......

Here we go now with part two about God’s awesome attributes! The topic this time? Omnipotence. I must say that this attributes seems to be the hardest to comprehend. I suppose after studying the Omniscience of God that that last sentence doesn’t make much sense. But it is how I feel. You may feel the same after reading what I’ve studied.

This is the little intro I use for my apologetics speech on this topic-
If you would, please think back to your childhood, what was the most powerful thing in the world at that time, or what super hero did you think was the greatest person ever. Now, compare him or her or it, to God, do they compare?

First of course we must define our terms! (Go debate!)Definition- omnipotence
Noah Webster’s 1828 dictionary - Almighty; possessing unlimited power; all powerful. The being that can create worlds must be omnipotent.

Pretty amazing right? Mind boggling. Possessing unlimited power. Wow! I love the final sentence though, “The being that can create worlds must be omnipotent.” There is only one being that can create worlds, or, planets. That being is God. God is the only omnipotent being.

Wayne Grudem says in Systematic Theology - God’s omnipotence means that God is able to do all his holy will.
This quote can be a little confusing, (as most of Mr. Grudem’s words are, in a good way of course) but after a little searching let’s see if it’s really that complicated. I believe what he is saying is this, God is omniscient right? God’s also omnipotent. Therefore, since God has these attributes, plus others, God can do anything within His own will that He wants to. The struggle that seems to come up on this topic is that we say God is omnipotent, yet, He can’t sin right? He can do things against His will I don’t think I’ll be going into this much for it is really a complicated subject. But, if comments allow I can do so. You may have your ideas about it too, if so I would love to hear them! Back on track...

Jeremiah 32:17, “Ah, Lord GOD! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you.”

“Nothing is too hard for you.”? What? Nothing at all? Wouldn’t that be nice? Just try to image if nothing was too hard. Memorizing music, lifting huge boulders, building houses. You could do anything! But, isn’t that the reason why we’re not omnipotent? What if we could do anything? We’d all be in SERIOUS trouble. Everyone would be doing everything they wanted to, this would interfere with other people, and then everyone would want to take out everyone else and would all be able to do it right? Doesn’t work out to hot does it?

Ephesians 3:21, “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us”
God can do anything not only that we say, but that we simply think! This is where silent prayer can come into play. My mom can walk up to me and say, “Justin, empty the dishwasher.” So, I hear her say, I have the ability to do it, and so I do it. But, if I happened to be like God (which I’m not at all!) But just say I was for a second. Then, mom could come up to me, look at me and I could look at her and know that in her head she was saying, “Just, empty the dishwasher.” And I could do it. Actually, now I think of it if I was omnipotent, I could think and the dishwasher would open, and the dishes would hop out of it and put themselves on the shelves. Wow, that would be cool. But once again, this shows how badly humans would use that ability. We’d all be lazy. Only God can properly use the “power” of omnipotence.

Why is omnipotence important?
Without some power over us we would be without a controller of the universe and our lives.
Again from Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology - “It is appropriate to realize that he has made us in such a way that we show in our lives some faint reflection of them [God’s attributes]. God has made us as creatures with a will. We exercise choice and make real decisions regarding the events of our lives.

Our God has no limits to his power.
Matthew 3:9, “And do not presume to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father,' for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham.”

Pretty amazing I think. “God is able from these stones to raise up children...” Wow. We need a limit in our lives. If everyone were to be “superheroes” than all the world would be is one big battle. There would be no need for any jobs or work. No one would need anyone else as friends or someone a help to them.
Job 13:27 “You put my feet in the stocks and watch all my paths; you set a limit for the soles of my feet.”

Just for us, God has allowed us to be controlled by His holy will. Yet another thing I can thank Him for every single day.

Charles Wesley once wrote a hymn and named it, “Omnipotent Lord, My Savior and King”
Here are just a few of the words,
“Omnipotent Lord, my Savior and King, Thy succor afford, Thy righteousness bring; Thy promises bind Thee compassion to have, Now, let me find Thee almighty to save.
Rejoicing in hope, and patient in grief, To Thee I look up for certain relief; I fear no denial, no danger I fear, Nor start from the trial, while Jesus is near. On Jesus, my power, till then I rely, All evil before His presence shall fly; When I have my Savior, my sin shall depart And Jesus for ever shall reign in my heart.”

I’d love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading.

-Justin

No comments: